Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Holiday - Art Deco Day 3

Here you have it folks: our third and final day at the Art Deco Weekend in Napier. We started off the morning by going to church with Carolyn's aunt and uncle. Then we headed to into town to check out the National Tobacco Company Ltd, which was open to the public for the weekend, although to be honest the outside is much more impressive than the inside.


Carolyn and I inside the building. I'm wearing the cream dress that was given to me by a friend in Taiwan, and actually made use of the handbag and headband I used at our wedding.

Oh yeah, and I found another car... how many is that now?

Time for an icecream on the beach. 


Then we headed off to "The Great Gatsby Picnic", which is the big event for the last day. I feel like they really do need to give this event another name, because it is so much more than a picnic, and the title is really quite deceptive. 
 To give you an idea of how big, grand and spectacular it is, people are not allowed to set up before 6am. Can you imagine setting up before 6am for a picnic that starts at 1pm! There were marquees everywhere, dining tables, gramophones, tea trolleys, china, and cake stands. It was like people relocated their lounge rooms outside for the afternoon! Just look at these photos and you'll see what I mean.



Told you there were tea sets.
This is not what I think of when I hear the word "picnic." Much closer to when they have "tea" in Jane Austen books while the men shoot birds. 

Love the big circus tent. 

And speaking of circus, I heard they were in town... not really, it's just the people from the dance company "Full Swing". Of course, just having the picnic 1930s theme is not enough for them; they had to go one step further and make it 1930s Circus theme! Gotta love their creativity and the way they put a twist on things.

The kids really loved the whole escaped gorilla antics.

Never fear the strong man is here!

Luke and I stopped for a dance (I love this photo).



Making our way back home and back to reality *sigh*. It was such a magical weekend.
Well, I hope you had a nice time travelling vicariously through my blog to the 1930s Art Deco Weekend Napier style.

Until next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment