Thursday 23 February 2012

The Holiday - Art Deco Day 1

So I just had the most wonderful, glorious, vintage-esque, musical weekend ever! On Friday morning Luke, Carolyn and I jumped in a rental car and drove to Napier to participate in the annual Art Deco Weekend.
In case you were not aware, Napier is the Art Deco capital of the world. The town was destroyed in the 1931 earthquake and rebuilt almost entirely in Art Deco style. Even if you're not going for the actual Art Deco Weekend, it is well worth a look.


On the way there we stopped to admire the wind farms. Anna, we took these photos just for you.

Windfarms are something of a controversial subject in New Zealand and they tend to polarise people. However, there is one thing that everyone agrees on...
They're very, very big.

We stayed with Carolyn's aunt and uncle in a town just outside of Napier. They were such welcoming and hospitable hosts. Their house was just around the corner from the Mission Estate Winery, which we thought we'd go and look at:
As you can see, the building is absolutely gorgeous. I think I could quite happily live there.
The vineyards also look spectacular.




And here, ladies and gentlemen, is what we wore to our first evening at Art Deco. As you can see, I merely put on red lipstick and added a sailor hat to give myself a nautical theme. Carolyn is wearing my cream dress and a possum stole I have permanently borrowed from Bex (Luke: "You stole a stole", ha ha ha). Doesn't Carolyn look lovely? I hope you keep wearing your fringe like that Carolyn, it really suits you.
More posing. :)
Luke at his most dapper. He looks so handsome. I have to say that the vintage look really suits him (I'm not sure if that pun was intended).

The soundshell in Napier. Okay, I'd heard that Art Deco was big, but I have to admit I was quite shocked at the number of people. It looked so magical though. I love this photo.

Carolyn and I on the grass enjoying the music.

Carolyn was nice enough to snap some photos of Luke and I while we danced.


So there you have it folks: day one out of three (I thought I'd do it in parts rather than flood you with photos).
Still lots more vintage goodness to come.

Until next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment