Thursday 10 May 2012

The Review - It's Kind of a Funny Story

So about 2 months ago, or maybe 3 (time goes so fast these days!), Luke and I watched a movie that our friend Carolyn brought and which had been recommended by her parents. To be honest, it's probably one of those movies that I would glance over at the video shop, think "meh" and put back; however, I'm actually really glad I watched it, as it was quite enjoyable.This film came out in 2010 (don't worry if you missed it, because I certainly did!) and was based on a 2006 novel by Ned Vizzini (Who? My thought exactly). 

The story is pretty basic, and really it's more of a character/life study, so don't expect the plot to take you places - just enjoy the ride. Anyway, so the movie centres around a burnt-out teenage boy who suspects he might be crazy. As luck would have it, the young adults' psychic ward has been shut down, so he is forced to spend a week in the adults' ward. Yes, by the way, this is a comedy. And there are some fairly humorous parts, especially if you're into that awkward kind of humour.

Although the main actor Keir Gilchrist is good, I think Zach Galifianakis does an absolutely outstanding performance, and his character really stays with you long after other parts of the movie have died away in your memory. He also had what has to be one of my favourite movie lines:

Bobby: That's not fun. That's propaganda, man. All those Madison Avenue types telling you how to live your life. Fast cars, hot chicks... Reese's Pieces... Gucci... Werther's Original. I don't buy into that bullshit!  (okay, maybe you have to see the movie for that to be funny...)














As always, a trailer for your viewing pleasure:


Until next time :)





No comments:

Post a Comment