Wednesday 8 August 2012

The Outing - Roxy

So the New Zealand International Film Festival is on at the moment. There are some really good movies playing this year, and some that you probably couldn’t even pay me to watch. But that’s the way Film Festivals go, I think. And I’m always careful with the movies I select. Being the sensitive soul that I am, I don’t want to pay $15 to sit there feeling rather squeamish, checking my watch for the time, and futilely glancing at the exit. 

I started attending Film Festivals after I became friends with a girl named Nikita in Taiwan. To date, Nikita is the biggest movie fan I have ever met or probably ever will meet. She instilled a love of film festivals in me (although truth be told I was already on my way there, having a preference for foreign films and independent movies). So when I saw the brochure for this year’s NZIFF I quickly picked it up and devoured its contents. Luke said I could pick one movie… which was so hard. I was torn between a digitally remastered version of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and a 1926 silent movie called The Mantrap which included live music. I chose the latter, as I thought it would be a more unique experience. 

But then 2 weekends ago, Luke surprised me by taking me to see Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. On top of that, it was playing at the Roxy, Peter Jackson’s art deco-themed cinema in Miramar, which I’ve been wanting to visit for the longest time! It is such a lovely theatre, and as my friend commented to me the other day: there are no teenagers! This is probably because the Roxy is so far out of town and away from a McDonalds.

I will review Gentlemen Prefer Blondes later this week, but for now here are some photos of the Roxy. If you live in Wellington or are visiting, it’s definitely worth a look. I only wish we could have stayed longer.








Until next time :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment