Tuesday 6 November 2012

The Review - The Thin Man

One of the benefits of getting married is that you not only gain a husband or wife but also their family. I was very blessed with Luke’s family, who are awesome. In fact, after meeting them for the first time following our engagement, I remarked to him that I would have married him for his family alone. Even better, my in-laws also have a killer DVD collection, and in the past two years I have been introduced to quite a number of amazing films that I probably never would have had the pleasure of watching if it weren't for them.

One set of especially good movies is The Thin Man series. The first film was made in 1934, based on the novel of the same name by Dashiell Hammett. It's an American comedy-mystery starring William Powell as retired detective Nick Charles and Myrna Loy as his wife Nora Charles. There are 6 films in all and they are absolutely delightful.

 

Nick is a retired private detective who enjoys a drink or two and his wife Nora is a wealthy heiress. They also own a cute pooch called Asta.

The original film shot in only about two weeks and was at first labelled a "B" picture, which is why everyone was surprised at its success. In 1934 it was even nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture.

Funnily enough, the film is not named after Nick Charles but rather his friend Clyde Wynant, whose mysterious disappearance gets Nick out of retirement. Despite this, when the film was released the critics and audience kept referring to Nick Charles as the "Thin Man", so the subsequent movies used variations of this original title.

I think what makes these movies such a delight to watch is the dialogue. It is just so witty! You almost can’t keep up with it. And the chemistry between Nick and Nora is the real highlight.

Actually, the The Thin Man might surge in popularity again, as there is supposedly a remake in the works with Johnny Depp to play the part of Nick Charles. 


 
 Reporter: Say listen, is he working on a case?
Nora:
Yes, he is.
Reporter
: What case?
Nora:
A case of scotch. Pitch in and help him.

 Lieutenant John Guild: You got a pistol permit?
Nick:
No.
Lieutenant John Guild:
Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
Nick:
Oh, that's all right, we're married.

 Nora: How many drinks have you had?
Nick:
This will make six Martinis.
Nora:
[to the waiter] All right. Will you bring me five more Martinis, Leo? Line them right up here.

 Nick: I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune.
Nora:
I read you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick:
It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.

 Marion: I don't like crooks. And if I did like 'em, I wouldn't like crooks that are stool pigeons. And if I did like crooks that are stool pigeons, I still wouldn't like you.

The trailer for your viewing enjoyment:


Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment