Wednesday 11 December 2013

The Review - Like Father Like Son

So at this year's NZ International Film Festival (NZIFF), my friend and I went to see the Japanese film Like Father Like Son, directed by Hirokazu Koreeda. I've actually reviewed another one of his movies before, called I Wish. Although less magical and fun than the previous film, Like Father Like Son is one of those movies that will stay with you for a long time.


The story goes like this: two babies, accidentally swapped at birth, are raised by families of differing social status. When the boys turn 6 and the parents are told this world-changing, life-altering piece of news, they must make the impossible decision whether to exchange these young boys, whom up to that point they believed to be their biological sons, or keep things the way they are knowing that their "real" son is living with another family.

Would you choose your natural son, or the son you believed was yours after spending 6 years together? Sophie's choice, right? It's particularly interesting being set in Japanese culture, where "blood" is seen as such a powerfully connecting force between people.

Anyway, the acting is superb - you really feel for the parents and children. I especially thought the child of the rich family was very, as the Japanese would say, kawaii!!! (cute) Halfway through the movie I turned to my friend and said, "Damn I really want a Japanese child! They're so cute!" Watch it and you'll see what I mean.




The Trailer: 


Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment